Subject: Re: fddi cards
To: Simon Burge <simonb@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Jon Lindgren <jlindgren@espus.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 03/07/2000 09:05:42
On Wed, 8 Mar 2000, Simon Burge wrote:

> > I might be able to use my turbochannel machine for such a purpose, but I
> > need a 100BTX port on the machine to bridge my switch into the FDDI
> > port.  So I think I need to run this on a PCI based machine.
>
> I'm using a DEFTA TurboChannel FDDI card on a pmax without any problems.
> I'm guessing that they also work on the TurboChannel-based Alphas as
> well.  Can anyone confirm or deny this?

Thanks for the info!

Yeah, I thought about using a 3000/300X for such.  My problem is that I
can only pipe a 10BT connection into these boxes, so I loose the 100mb
FDDI bandwidth (unless anyone makes a 100BT tc card).

I'm looking to get my 100BTX network into a FDDI fed
switch, and I think the cheapest way to do so would be via a FDDI card in
a PCI machine (then I can pipe 100BTX into the machine and feed the switch
with the FDDI interface).

I'm not _too_ concerned with rount trip time, more with being able to more
deeply saturate the backplane of the switch.

-Jon
 "Can you count my penny?" | NetBSD on i386, Alpha, VAX, NeXT, SPARC,
 "One!"                    | Mac68k, and hopefully more...