Subject: Re: NFS server hangs under 1.4.1
To: None <port-i386@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Kent Polk <kent@tiamat.goathill.org>
List: port-i386
Date: 03/06/2000 17:12:19
On 5 Mar 2000 22:40:01 -0600, Steve wrote:
>I've had similar NFS grief under 1.4.1.  Mostly on very
>good hardware (P2-450/128MB)
>
>Sometimes the machines hang and sometimes a
>full system reboot will happen randomly under load.
>It's next to impossible to debug/trace.  It usually
>happens at least once every 2 days.
>
>I do think I might have isolated it to the ep device
>driver/3C509 NIC cards as I had two servers that were
>exhibiting the behavior.  Both servers are dual-homed.

I have had an NFS problem with ep/3C509 as a NFS client for almost
a year. The server is a Solaris Ultra 5 and this problem only exists
with the NetBSD (1.4.0/1.4.1) NFS client. The problem is that when
*sending* files around 2MB and larger, the NetBSD client starts
hanging for typically from about 30 seconds to a minute or so and
sometimes it simply fails. When it fails, nfsstat indicates the
failure, but otherwise I don't really see anything in the logs that
indicates a problem that I understand. When the nfs client hangs,
the NetBSD box almost comes to a halt.  Note that the NFS *server*
does not hang, only the client. I can perform NFS transfers with
no apparent problem from another Solaris client while the NetBSD
client is hung.

Exactly what should I be looking for to examine this problem?

Thanks

-----------------
nfsstat - Client Info:
Rpc Counts:
  Getattr   Setattr    Lookup  Readlink      Read     Write    Create    Remove
       33         0       115         0         0      9697         4         3
   Rename      Link   Symlink     Mkdir     Rmdir   Readdir  RdirPlus    Access
        0         0         0         0         0         6         0        33
    Mknod    Fsstat    Fsinfo  PathConf    Commit    GLease    Vacate     Evict
        0        20         1         0       948         0         0         0
Rpc Info:
 TimedOut   Invalid X Replies   Retries  Requests
        0         0      2744      2766     10860
Cache Info:
Attr Hits    Misses Lkup Hits    Misses BioR Hits    Misses BioW Hits    Misses
      139        33        31       115         0         0     -3958      9697
BioRLHits    Misses BioD Hits    Misses DirE Hits    Misses
        0         0        22         6        18         9