Subject: bootselector error 3
To: None <port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: George Sollish <gsollish@mail.gisco.net>
List: port-i386
Date: 03/06/2000 10:19:30
I am building a multiboot i586-166 box with a new WD 13.6G drive.  I
loaded 1.4.1 into the top 6G first, with a 50M partition for DR-DOS on the
bottom loaded next.  At this point the 1.4.1 bootselector could boot
either OS from the hard drive.  I then loaded FreeBSD 3.2 into the first
of two 3.5G partitions.  Now the 1.4.1 bootselector returns error 3 on
default. Before the default (set to NetBSD) takes over I can F1 to DR-DOS,
but any other F-key returns error 3.

I can boot either BSD from floppy.  I did notice that the BIOS geometry
was different on the FreeBSD side, and reset it with their fdisk -i.
Afterwards I reinstalled the NetBSD bootselector and power-cycled just to
be sure.

Is this a known problem?  Flushing FreeBSD seems a bit harsh.  Any
workarounds?  Thanks.

George E Sollish	Chief Engineer  	 Auto Gear Equipment
			Host	 		 Classic-FM's Listening Room
			Project Manager		 The Payne Lake Project