Subject: Disklabel on large (>8gig) disks
To: NetBSD-Users <netbsd-users@netbsd.org>
From: Stuart Brooks <stuartb@cat.co.za>
List: port-i386
Date: 02/25/2000 18:45:43
Hi everyone,

I am trying to set up an 8 gigabyte harddrive under netbsd using the
disklabel command. The disk geometry detected by the BIOS Setup is as
follows.
	Cyl: 39560
	Heads: 16
	Sectors/Track: 63
But when I use the ioctl function DIOCGDEFLABEL it returns the following
values
	Cyl: 16384
	Heads: 16
	Sectors/Track 63
which equates to an 8 gig drive as opposed to about a 20 gig which it is
supposed to be (The NetBSD boot code detects it as a 19470 meg drive). If I
try and set partitions to exceed the 8 gig limit it chops off at 8 gig.

I would really appreciate any help on this. Is there a way to detect drive
size past 8 gig and if so, can one use disklabel to set the disk size past 8
gig?

Thanks
	Stuart

Drive = IBM 20.3 GB