Subject: New system: can NetBSD live outside of first 8GB of disk?
To: None <port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: Steven Grunza <steven_grunza@ieee.org>
List: port-i386
Date: 02/24/2000 09:53:39
My current work PC is being replaced with a new one.  There are two main
problems with running NetBSD on it:

1)  The network card is not supported (3C905C) (but will be soon after I
get NetBSD running on it...)

2)  The IT department put Windows98 on the first 9GB of the disk, leaving
4GB free for NetBSD.  I had asked them to put it on the first 7GB, leaving
6GB free for NetBSD but that didn't happen.  Can NetBSD boot without having
any partitions in the first 8GB of the disk?  What about using a MS-DOS
boot floppy to run dosboot?  It's taken the IT department over 3 months to
get this machine configured with corporate software so a failed NetBSD
install that trashes the disk will be a really bad blow to bringing NetBSD
in as a "real OS" here.

Machine specifics:  Dell Dimension XPS T600, 13GB disk (probably IDE),
CD-ROM (probably IDE), Pentium of some flavor.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Steven Grunza
steven_grunza@ieee.org