Subject: Re: why not REALEXTMEM
To: Henry Nelson <henry@irm.nara.kindai.ac.jp>
From: Bill Sommerfeld <sommerfeld@orchard.arlington.ma.us>
List: port-i386
Date: 02/17/2000 09:04:12
> In GENERIC it says:
> # The following options override the memory sizes passed in from the boot
> # block.  Use them *only* if the boot block is unable to determine
> # the correct values.
> The emphasis on "only" has me worried.  By setting REALEXTMEM to 60416,
> aren't simply the last 4MB not used, so that in effect the bad memory
> locations are isolated?  Okay to assume I'm _fairly_ safe?

Yes.  The "correct value" in this case is 60MB not 64MB.

The idea is to discourage routine use, since the BIOS and boot block
should get it right most or all of the time.

This seems like an "appropriate" use, though if the memory is
new/still under warrantee, i'd swap it rather than put up with this
sort of hassle.

					- Bill