Subject: Re: no FSCK required configuration.
To: der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
From: Frederick Bruckman <fb@enteract.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 02/16/2000 02:03:56
On Wed, 16 Feb 2000, der Mouse wrote:

> I think LFS is supposed to be more crash-resilient; it may be up to the
> task, though I don't feel competent to say for sure.  It's the only
> NetBSD-supported filesystem that I think has any hope, at any rate,
> though of course I could be wrong about that. :)

Softdeps with ffs (in current) is supposed to never require fsck'ing,
bugs excepted. You could still lose information, of course, but the
filesystem remains in a consistent state (allegedly). For what it's
worth, I enabled softdeps on my laptop's /usr. After running out of
juice during a compile, fsck runs on the next start, but it doesn't
complain about the usual "unreferenced file"'s. YMMV.