Subject: Re: README: Important -- base kernel address changed!
To: Jason Thorpe <thorpej@nas.nasa.gov>
From: Jonathan Stone <jonathan@DSG.Stanford.EDU>
List: port-i386
Date: 02/14/2000 11:30:30
In message <200002141753.JAA17135@lestat.nas.nasa.gov>Jason Thorpe writes:

>No, that hasn't been done, but it needs to be on a per-process basis,
>really...  more to come.

OK. If the window between now and then is big enough, a __ps_strings
style hack (like the m68k) might be worthwhile. For me, I'd like to
see this in 1.4.2, but I'm realistic.

In other discussion, Jason mentioned getting the `right' start address
for emulations.  I wonder how wise that is.

I know AI hackers who paid for high-end commonlisp licenses for Linux;
now they're running their Lisp images on BSD using Linux emulation.
Why?  To get a better VM layout for the Lisp heap and stack.  This
particular linux app runs better on BSD Linux emulation than on real
Linux. Faithfully emulating the Linux 2Gkva+2Guva VM layout would
break that.

Just a datpoint.