Subject: Re: Slow 486 seems really slow
To: Jonathan R. Hinds <jon@fork.yi.org>
From: Thilo Manske <Thilo.Manske@HEH.Uni-Oldenburg.DE>
List: port-i386
Date: 02/14/2000 14:08:46
On Mon, Feb 14, 2000 at 12:51:24AM -0800, Jonathan R. Hinds wrote:
> wdc0 at isa0 port 0x1f0-0x1f7 irq 14
> wd0 at wdc0 channel 0 drive 0: <QUANTUM FIREBALL1280A>
> wd0: drive supports 8-sector pio transfers, lba addressing
> wd0: 1222MB, 2484 cyl, 16 head, 63 sec, 512 bytes/sect x 2503872 sectors
> wd0: drive supports PIO mode 4, DMA mode 2
>
> Does this mean that it is using DMA? I guess that I will try another hard
> drive and see what happens.
It says that the drive will support DMA, not that it is actually using it.

A line like this:
wd0(pciide0:0:0): using PIO mode 4, Ultra-DMA mode 2 (using DMA data transfers)
says what the kernel is really using.

AFAIK the wdc driver (and the wdc hardware) doesn't support DMA transfers, so
you won't get them.

BTW: Do you use a memory filesystem for /tmp (or wherever TMPDIR points to)?
If not this should really speed up the compilation since gcc won't write or
read temporary files to/from the harddisk anymore.

So if memory is not the problem add something like this to /etc/fstab:
/dev/wd0b /tmp  mfs     rw,async,noatime,nosuid,-s=20000
(-s=20000 restricts the size to about 10MBytes (20k sectors), should be
enough for kernel compilation.)
--
Dies ist Thilos Unix Signature! Viel Spass damit.