Subject: Re: Slow 486 seems really slow
To: None <jon@fork.yi.org>
From: None <jkunz@unixag-kl.fh-kl.de>
List: port-i386
Date: 02/14/2000 11:14:12
On 13 Feb, Jonathan R. Hinds wrote:

> Does it usually take this long to compile a kernel on a 486?
No. My i486DX4-100 needs 35 min. to compile a 1.4.1 GENERIC.

> I used to run linux on this machine back when it was a SX25. A kernel
> compile generally took between 45 minutes and an hour.
Is the Cache correct initialized? Some time ago i replaced an
AMD486DX2-66 with an AMD486DX4-100. I was surprised about the very low
performace. After testing the cache I discovered that the on-chip cache
was not active. The BIOS did not detect the the CPU correct and so did
not initialize the CPU correct. The BIOS was too old to know about the
CPU. I used http://ftp.heise.de/pub/ct/ctsi/ctcm16r.zip for testing the
cache.
--

tschüß,