Subject: Re: Slow 486 seems really slow
To: Jonathan R. Hinds <jon@fork.yi.org>
From: Roine Thunberg <artee@astrakan.hig.se>
List: port-i386
Date: 02/14/2000 10:01:56
On Sun, 13 Feb 2000, Jonathan R. Hinds wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> I have a 486 that seems moderatly slow in general use, and really slow
> when compiling a kernel. It used to have 28 megs of ram (16meg SIMM + 8meg
> SIMM + 4meg On-board) with a DX4-100 processor. It took around 8 to 12
> hours to compile a kernel on this machine. This seemed pretty horrible to
> me, seeing as how my VAX with 16megs of ram is faster.

I'm running a 486dx4/100 too... It has 24meg and Western Digital 1.7Gb HD.

> I used to run linux on this machine back when it was a SX25. A kernel
> compile generally took between 45 minutes and an hour.

I used to run linux and it took almost the same time to compile a kernel
on my computer.

I havn't try to compile a NetBSD kernel locally yet. But mabye I will do
just for comparing.

	/Roine

E-Mail: artee@astrakan.hig.se		ICQ-UIN: 3586115