Subject: Re: Slow 486 seems really slow
To: Jonathan R. Hinds <jon@fork.yi.org>
From: Frank van der Linden <frank@wins.uva.nl>
List: port-i386
Date: 02/14/2000 09:26:15
On Sun, Feb 13, 2000 at 11:41:29PM -0800, Jonathan R. Hinds wrote:
> I have a 486 that seems moderatly slow in general use, and really slow
> when compiling a kernel. It used to have 28 megs of ram (16meg SIMM + 8meg
> SIMM + 4meg On-board) with a DX4-100 processor. It took around 8 to 12
> hours to compile a kernel on this machine. This seemed pretty horrible to
> me, seeing as how my VAX with 16megs of ram is faster.

8-12 hours is pretty extreme.. I doubt that it will be the cause alone,
but there is a known problem on older machines with some types of IDE drives.
Somehow the disk access gets slow, this started since the new IDE code was
introduced (somewhere before 1.4). I have one such a machine, but no
time to look into it currently :-(

- Frank