Subject: Re: Help with slow IP-NAT performance...
To: John Ruschmeyer <jruschmeyer@unixpros.com>
From: Andrew Gillham <gillhaa@ghost.whirlpool.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 02/11/2000 14:14:46
John Ruschmeyer writes:

[snip]
> As an aside, these were not my first choice NICs. I also tried:
>
> 	SMC Ultra (ISA): known working, found by probe, but driver
> 	failed trying to inialize the shared memory.

This should work ok at 0x300, irq 10, mem 0xcc00.  You may need
to configure your BIOS to reserve this memory though.  With Award, you
set configuration mode to manual, and then adjust the reserve memory
field.  With other BIOSes I don't know.
Probably the SCSI BIOS is ending up at C800-CFFF and this is overlapping
your SMC shared memory.  Reserving the area will cause the SCSI BIOS
to be pushed to somewhere else. (or disabled! oops!)

> 	PCI NE2k clone (Realtek): BIOS assigned it the same IRQ as
> 	the NCR 810a SCSI card. (Does 1.4.1 support IRQ steering?)
> 	Caused SCSI problems until removed.

Try to adjust the slots they are in.  Typically certain slots will
automatically share interrupts, depending on your motherboard.
If you can, use the BIOS to manually set the IRQ for a slot.

> Any thoughts on how to get either of these to work instead?

I use a RTL8139 in one machine (Soyo SY6BA+ motherboard) and it
works nice.  I haven't tried a RTL8029 or whatever the NE2K compatible
chipset is.  Still, you should be able to swap cards until the BIOS
does the right thing. (if the BIOS every does)

-Andrew
Andrew Gillham                            | This space left blank
gillham@whirlpool.com                     | inadvertently.