Subject: Re: wireless cards that people were talking about
To: Michael Richardson <mcr@sandelman.ottawa.on.ca>
From: Christian E. Hopps <chopps@merit.edu>
List: port-i386
Date: 02/10/2000 10:33:17
Michael Richardson <mcr@sandelman.ottawa.on.ca> writes:

>   Last week there was lots of talk about getting some PCMCIA wireless cards
> from ??? working. I have two BayStack FH, a friends wants some. If he gets these
> ones talked about last week will the BayStack and FH interoperate?

They do not seem to interoperate no.  Its not known yet whether this is
a firmware issue on the ray cards or a standards issue.  The speeds are
different though the baystack is 1Mbps and the ray is 2Mbps.  One would
hope that ray could back down to 1Mbps but there is nothign in the
firmware to set this.  It would appear a newer firmware which hasn't
been released yet allows you to setup a `basic rate set' which is an
array of speeds.  This could mean that the new unreleased firmware will
interoperate if 1Mbps is in the basic rate set.

I don't know when they will release the new firmware.

Chris.