Subject: Re: IPv6 installer (Was: Release goo for 1.4.2_ALPHA)
To: <>
From: None <john@sinteur.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 02/05/2000 19:59:34
> I'm not sure how much we would gain by chucking out
>the EISA devices, so we may eventually need to give up on the
>single-floppy goal anyway.

With both new hardware coming out all the time, and new software as well (such as IPv6), keeping a single floppy is doomed in the long run. Sticking to it as long as possible is a worthy goal in itself, but not at all cost.

The 'what are we going to toss' question is a big one, though. Different goals for the installer disk will require different tossing to be done. For example, I've put a first release of what I'm doing up at www.dubbele.com, have a look. Of course, what I want from a future boot floppy is pretty narrowly focussed, and ppp and dhcp are high on my wish list :-)

I feel that most choices on the different install floppies that are going to be made need to keep one thing paramount: imagine the end user having to make a choice: "which one am I going to download?"

And yes, the end-user I have targetted is not quite on !
the same technical level as most NetBSD users..

-John
PS (oh, by the way, any comments on what you find on www.dubbele.com is welcome, naturally)