Subject: Re: PCMCIA card reader
To: Peter Seebach <seebs@plethora.net>
From: Chris G. Demetriou <cgd@netbsd.org>
List: port-i386
Date: 02/03/2000 22:50:00
seebs@plethora.net (Peter Seebach) writes:
> 4.  I never get any further messages from pcic, from this card or any other
> card I try to plug in to it.

my experience is that the PCMCIA code is ... bad about informing the
user when it runs into absolutely bogus data in the CIS.

you might set every variable in your kernel named '.*_debug' (nm -an
/netbsd | grep '.*_debug') that looks pcmcia-related to 1, then try
inserting the card(s).

my guess would be that you'll get some info about some absolutely
bogus but fairly consistent-across-cards CIS information.  That'd mean
that the memory space being used by the pcic is being used by
something else in the system.

I just went through this the other day, on some HP Kayaks.  my
solution (which got a different ISA pcmcia adapter working) was to
tell the BIOS to reserve the first couple of chunks of ISA memory
space for legacy ISA devices.

cgd