Subject: Re: Storing/Playing music
To: Sean Doran <smd@ebone.net>
From: Jukka Marin <jmarin@pyy.jmp.fi>
List: port-i386
Date: 01/30/2000 19:27:37
I know this is kind of off-topic, but many people seem to be interested
in this, so..

>         ripping: cdd [i386, alpha both with scsi cdroms] with options -n
>                  cdparanoia [i386 + cd0 at atapibus0 drive 0:
>                             <TOSHIBA CD-ROM XM-1902B, , 1717> type 5 cdrom]
>
>         encoding: lame [i386, alpha] with options -p -o -v -V 5 -h
>
>         playing: mpg123 [i386, alpha] with options -y

These programs seem to work pretty well on my system as well.  I also
believe lame produces higher-quality mp3 files than bladeenc.

I would like to convert my LP records to mp3 format.  Is there any
aoftware for this - I need to be able to record directly to hard disk
and then break the file into several files between songs.  After that,
I'd use lame to encode all files.

I wrote a quick hack to record into a file (44.1 kHz) and it works and
I'm able to encode the resulting (huge) files, but .. making the program
really usable with editing features would take more time than I have. :(

Any recommendations?  Thanks,

  -jm