Subject: Re: Recommendations wanted for 100baseTX cards
To: Jason Thorpe <thorpej@nas.nasa.gov>
From: Matthew Orgass <darkstar@pgh.net>
List: port-i386
Date: 01/30/2000 11:31:06
On Sat, 29 Jan 2000, Jason Thorpe wrote:

> On Sat, 29 Jan 2000 13:50:23 -0500 (EST)
>  wpaul@ee.columbia.edu (Bill Paul) wrote:
>
>  > I asked the Davicom people why the problems with the DM9102 weren't
>  > documented in their datasheet in an errata section. They told me that
>  > they didn't consider it an issue because typically their customers that
>  > use the DM9102 chip also use the drivers that Davicom provides them,
>  > which are written by Davicom engineers and have workarounds for the
>  > problems. I harrassed them a bit over this; hopefully it will have some
>  > effect.
>
> Well, that's annoying!  :-)

  Yeah, you also need to turn off interrupts in the interrupt routine
before reading the status to avoid bogus bits (also undocumented).  They
also changed the most of the rx and tx states, just for fun (but
documented at least).

> I have some DM9102 boards on the way from Davicom, but they're apparently
> stuck in customs!  Grumble.  Anyhow, I'll keep this in mind when adding
> support for the chip.

  I've got a good start on it, but it still isn't working.  I don't have a
clue why not.  I just updated it to set CSR0 to 0 always and use one
DMA segment, but still no go.  My diffs so far are at
http://www.pgh.net/~darkstar/dm9102.diff

Matthew Orgass
darkstar@pgh.net