Subject: Re: Recommendations wanted for 100baseTX cards
To: None <alexis@panix.com>
From: Jason Thorpe <thorpej@nas.nasa.gov>
List: port-i386
Date: 01/29/2000 09:43:22
On Sat, 29 Jan 2000 10:43:48 -0500 (EST)
 <alexis@panix.com> wrote:

 > Jason, I understand that autodetect isn't there yet, but how are the Macronix
 > from a reliability and performance standpoint, in 1.4.2 or -current?

Well... 1.4.2 is out, for them.  The `tlp' diver isn't an easy back-port,
because there were other changes that were required to support the
almost absurd complexity^Wflexibility of that chip family.

Now, the Macronix parts themseves... I get 1.05MB/s out of them on a
10baseT link.  On 100baseTX or 100baseTX-FDX, I have had some mixed
experience.  Sometimes they work well, and I can sustain ~7.5MB/s through
them.  Sometimes they generate tons and tons of "MII errors" (really,
receiver errors, since they have no MII), though that may be an artifact
of my testing environment.

Sadly, this is still the "best" Tulip clone around, AFAICT.  Note that
with geniune DEC 21143 parts, I have basically *zero* problems with
the same driver.