Subject: Re: Recommendations wanted for 100baseTX cards
To: port-i386@netbsd.org, Giles Lean <giles@nemeton.com.au>
From: None <alexis@panix.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 01/29/2000 10:43:48
jlindgren@espus.com (Jon Lindgren) wrote:
> On Fri, 28 Jan 2000, Steve Paul wrote:
> > The best 100base cards I've used under NetBSD have been
> > the -old- Netgear cards with the DEC chipset on them.  The
>
> Agreed on that one.  I was lucky enough to grab two NetGears back in
> the days, for $19 new!  They work like champs.  Harder to come by now :-<

Yes, I managed to get about 30 of them. The next 6 were macronix-based, and
we had to send them back.

Jason, I understand that autodetect isn't there yet, but how are the Macronix
from a reliability and performance standpoint, in 1.4.2 or -current?

> I've also had success with the Intel cards (EtherExpress Pro, I
> believe).  I've an old IBM ppro box at home which does some routing using
> two fxp's...  I do remember some problems with the media selection, but I
> can't exactly remember what; it all "just works" now :-)

Those are what we're using now; I've just about run through a box of 20 or 30
of them.

I'd still like to find something cheaper than the Intels, but they do seem
like a safe bet.

/a

---
Alexis Rosen
PANIX Public Access Unix & Internet, NYC.
alexis@panix.com