Subject: Re: serial console HOWTO?
To: Todd Whitesel <toddpw@best.com>
From: Allen Briggs <briggs@ninthwonder.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 01/29/2000 11:53:43
> > The only problem is that reading bootblock or kernel options out of a
> > file in / doesn't generalize at all well to netbooting.
>
> I think the way to fix this is to put a small buffer into the boot program,
> containing environment variables and some dead space. Surround it with some
> magic numbers, so we can scan the bootprog file for it. Provide a utility to
> read/edit/write it (like disklabel), with reasonable sanity checks. Add some
> simple logic on the boot prompt to allow overriding of variables by users:
>
> 	boot console=com0 wd0a:/netbsd

This, or something like it, is what I've been thinking about (and trying
to find a problem with).  I don't know that we need to go as far as a
variable list to fix the problem at hand.  I'd at least like to see the
following options:

	1) Always boot with VGA/kbd console
	2) Always boot with serial console
	3) Autoselect console

Probably with #1 as the default setting (set at build-time from an
environment variable that could be overridden in /etc/mk.conf) and
with a tool for changing the behavior.  So, I could install NetBSD 1.5
from a stock CD-ROM, then run a utility to force it to always use a
serial console.  I could also set up my local tree so that when I build
the boot blocks, I always get that behavior by default.

This could also be done with variables, and that might be nicer in the
long run...

-allen