Subject: Recommendations wanted for simple VGA graphics library port
To: None <port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: Alex Nemirovsky <alexn@windriver.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 01/29/2000 18:34:35
Hello,

I am new to this group and am looking for a recommendation on what
would be the best route to get a simple native VGA
graphics library into NetBSD. I do not need or for that
matter want terminal support. In other words, I
would prefer no keyboard/mouse input support just graphics output.
I do not intend to ever use the VGA graphics device for a console.
I fully plan to make it architecture independant if at all possible.

Right now, I am considering porting GRX (from the DJGPP world).
I "briefly" looked at Linux svgalib, and GGI. However both look
pretty hacked up and mostly Linux specific.

Any comments?  Is there a better route?

I am not very familiar to the NetBSD WSCONS
framework.  Is this what I should target the port to use?
Keep in mind, I do not ever intend to the VGA for console purposes.
If it is still a good idea to stick with wscons
where can I get more information about WSCONS other than
looking throught the source?  Any good pointers as where
I can get information on how to program VGA compatible devices
without the use of a BIOS?

-Thanks in advanced
Alex