Subject: Re: Recommendations wanted for 100baseTX cards
To: Jason Thorpe <thorpej@nas.nasa.gov>
From: Bill Paul <wpaul@ee.columbia.edu>
List: port-i386
Date: 01/29/2000 21:14:28
Of all the gin joints in all the towns in all the world, Jason Thorpe had to
walk into mine and say:

> On Sat, 29 Jan 2000 17:58:21 -0500 (EST)
>  wpaul@ee.columbia.edu (Bill Paul) wrote:
>
>  > They sent me two DM9102A cards recently that took a couple of weeks to
>  > arrive. The DM9102A is essentially the same as the DM9102 except it has
>  > an external MII interface. The eval boards they sent me have both
>  > fast ethernet and HomePNA interfaces, with the HomePNA PHY connected
>  > to the external MII interface. However, the way they did it, the
>  > external MII management interface is separate from the internal one,
>  > meaning that when you flip the port selection bit in CSR6, you can
>  > see either the interal PHY or the external one, but not both at the
>  > same time. In fact, the internal and external PHYs are wired to MII
>  > address 1.
>
> Wow.  That's .... really goofy.  Is the HPNA PHY the 2Mb/s or 10Mb/s
> variety?  Just wondering how bizarre the programming interface is.

It's 1Mbps. It's the DM9801: the datasheet is at:
http://www.davicom8.com/documents/Datasheet/DM9801_DS_P01_110299.zip

It doesn't look too different from the AMD HomePNA PHY in terms of the
register layout, but I haven't experimented with it too much yet.

The sheet for the DM9102A is at:
http://www.davicom8.com/documents/Datasheet/DM9102A-DS-F01-012000.zip

-Bill

Work:         wpaul@ctr.columbia.edu | Department of Electrical Engineering
"Mulder, toads just fell from the sky!" "I guess their parachutes didn't open."