Subject: Re: Why ident support in sendmail from NetBSD distribution?
To: Alicia da Conceicao <alicia@cyberstation.ca>
From: Giles Lean <giles@nemeton.com.au>
List: port-i386
Date: 01/29/2000 23:47:16
On Sat, 29 Jan 2000 11:31:28 +0000  Alicia da Conceicao wrote:

[Not sure why sendmail is a port-i386 issue, but ...]

> Although sendmail can easily be compiled from source on NetBSD, without
> IDENT support, would it not be better to distribute, from the NetBSD
> binaries or pkgsrc, a NetBSD port of sendmail without the IDENT?

How is sendmail shipped by default? I would recommend that if we
have to ship sendmail that we ship it as it comes "out of the box",
whatever that setting is.

BTW IDENT is not intended to be useful directly; it is only supposed
to be something you can return to a site when you're contacting
them about a problem.  It's up to them to map it back to some
responsible entity.

Regards,

Giles