Subject: Re: Storing/Playing music
To: Bjoern Labitzke <hermit@cs.tu-berlin.de>
From: Sean Doran <smd@ebone.net>
List: port-i386
Date: 01/27/2000 08:04:41
Bjoern Labitzke <hermit@hermit.home.cs.tu-berlin.de> writes:

>   - Ripping: tosha
>   - Encoding: bladeenc

under fairly recent -current, I use, from pkgsrc:

        ripping: cdd [i386, alpha both with scsi cdroms] with options -n
                 cdparanoia [i386 + cd0 at atapibus0 drive 0:
                            <TOSHIBA CD-ROM XM-1902B, , 1717> type 5 cdrom]

        encoding: lame [i386, alpha] with options -p -o -v -V 5 -h

        playing: mpg123 [i386, alpha] with options -y

i did go and add checks for the return values and error
states of the i/o library calls in lame, preventing a
normal exit in the event of an i/o failure, and added
in pattern matches for my cdrom(s) in cdd.

through good speakers i cannot hear the differences among
the CD being played versus the pcm (.cda) file or the MP3.

i find i prefer lame to bladeenc.

        Sean.