Subject: Re: UDMA problems with 1.4
To: Todd Whitesel <toddpw@best.com>
From: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.lip6.fr>
List: port-i386
Date: 01/25/2000 14:17:49
On Mon, Jan 24, 2000 at 11:02:58PM -0800, Todd Whitesel wrote:
> > pciide0:0:0: lost interrupt
> >         type: ata
> >         c_bcount: 3072
> >         c_skip: 0
> > pciide0:0:0: Bus-Master DMA error: missing interrupt, status=0x60
> > wd0: transfer error, downgrading to DMA mode 2
>
> I get errors like this on my ALi SuperIO machines, which use
> the same controller (M1543) and CD-ROM (Mitsumi 16x ATAPI).

No, it's not the same controller (Michael has a SiS).
There is a reproductible problem with ALi and Ultra/66 drives which I've not
tracked down yet (but I've improved the downgrade logic as a workaround)
but it's not that here.

> On i386 it recovers like the above.
>
> On arm32 (CATS ATX motherboard) it errno's the syscall, so I can't
> actually use the CD-ROM drive on that machine.

Do you have the problem when you use the HD or the CD ?
I've increased the number of retries in the scsipi code, so you shoudl'nt
have this problem now.

> I must apologize to Manuel here, as I've had these problems with 1.4.1 up
> through 19991223-current (after which those machines went to 1.4.2_ALPHA)
> and I've been too lazy to file a proper PR on this.

Ok, so could you check if a very recent 1.4.2_ALPHA is better ?
And maybe fill a PR if you still have troubles.