Subject: Re: Storing/Playing music with mp3
To: Bjoern Labitzke <hermit@cs.tu-berlin.de>
From: Roine Thunberg <artee@astrakan.hig.se>
List: port-i386
Date: 01/25/2000 01:34:38
On Tue, 25 Jan 2000, Bjoern Labitzke wrote:

> Perhaps we can move it to the users list, if it goes on...

Hehe... We might do so... which list is that anyway?

> I can't really comment on the quality difference that experts might hear, but
> for me mp3 at 128 kbps is ok. I can use our package system for all needed

Ok... most of the time 128 kbps is fine... but I prefere atleast
160kbps... I think Bladeenc's encoder is better from 160kbps and up. Other
encoders like l3enc is better on 128kbps, I think.

> products:
>   - Ripping: tosha
>   - Encoding: bladeenc
>   - Playing: mpg123 and/or gqmpeg (which uses mpg123) You can even use Winamp
>              skins for gqmpeg according to the manual. I haven't tried that yet.

I'm acctually using mpg123 from pkgsrc on a 486dx4/100 w/ 512kb cache. It
doesn't work on 256kb cache with the regular mpg123 source when I tried.
But when I used to use linux there is a patched source of mpg123 that I've
found developed just for 486 family (this worked with 256kb cache. Both of
the sources works well if you don't do anything else on the computer ;)

By the way... has anyone got XMMS working under NetBSD, 'cause of the
difficulty with "-pthreads" and stuff ?

	/Roine

E-Mail: artee@astrakan.hig.se		ICQ-UIN: 3586115