Subject: Re: serial console HOWTO?
To: David Maxwell , Martin Husemann <martin@rumolt.teuto.de>
From: Jonathan Stone <jonathan@DSG.Stanford.EDU>
List: port-i386
Date: 01/24/2000 11:16:27
A big "thank you" to David, Matthias, Martin, Miles, and everyone else
who's helped out with advice and suggestions with the serial consoles.

Despite appearances to the contrary, we've all exchanged private email
about the current code, what it does well, and what it could do better.
I think there's even a consensus.

And just to keep the status up-to-date:

I have two machines set up with a ServerBIOS serial console (one
NetBSD, one FreeBSD, for comparison), hooked up to a serial port with
Paul Vixie's rtty package.  I'm using an xterm to talk to rtty.  My
normal xterm is 80x132 with yellow foreground, midnight-blue
background.  The serial-BIOS console code sets the colour of its usual
80x25 region to match the regular BIOS background. The colour of
BIOS menus matches pretty well. The arrow keys in my xterm navigate
correctly. I'm not sure the function-key bindings are correct.

I have to take one thing back, though: I said earlier that the NetBSD
machine with serial-BIOS-console booted fine, albeit with kernel
boot-messgaes going to VGA; but once multi-user gettys on both wscons
and the serial port worked.  That did work for warm boots after
enabling the BIOS console.  But since I power-cycled, I cant login
via wscons. The getty prompt is fine, I can cat t /dev/ttyE0,
but keystrokes dont seem to do anything.

The FreeBSD machine was a breeze. I did
		echo "-Du" > /boot.conf
and its up and happy, and (last I tried) accepting logins
from either graphics head or serial port.

There's a good chance that between us, by 1.5, NetBSD's bootblocks
will be even spiffier.