Subject: Storing/Playing music (Was Re: ALPS 4x4 CD changer (ATAPI))
To: Jukka Marin <jmarin@pyy.jmp.fi>
From: Laine Stump <lainestump@rcn.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 01/24/2000 12:53:35
Once again I've managed in a couple sentences to pull a thread off topic to
the point where it shouldn't even be on this list :-)

At 09:25 AM 1/24/00 +0200, Jukka Marin wrote:
>I'm not sure if this is possible.  The remote controls [that I have see]
>use a carrier frequency around 40 kHz and modulate it with data (transmitting
>pulse trains).  I don't know if the PC IR port hardware can demodulate this
>kind of signal.
>
>BUT, there are small and cheap (around $2) IR receiver modules which do
>the demodulation.. you still need to decode the pulses, though.  (Would
>be easy with a small microcontroller..)

Check out LIRC. They support several different remote controls, and it
looks like there's instructions for building hardware to connect to
serial/parallel ports around there somewhere (I haven't looked through the
whole site yet).

	http://freshmeat.net/appindex/1998/12/05/912900312.html

>On Sun, Jan 23, 2000 at 08:47:17PM -0800, Jonathan R. Hinds wrote:
>>
>> I've got 220 cd's currently occupying about 11.1 gigs. I think thats
>> reasonable. Plus the instant access to any of them is great, and nfs
>> exporting the whole thing provides the entire house with music.
>
>What software do you use to play the music?
>"cp /music/disc123/song05 /dev/audio" ? :-)

Right now I'm only playing on WinNT (using RealJukebox and WinAmp), but I'd
love to hear recommendations on which software to use on NetBSD (both for
reading/encoding, and for playing, also recommendations on a good, yet
cheap, sound card for this purpose). There's tons of mp3 utilities on
freshmeat:

	http://freshmeat.net/search.php3?query=mp3

Too many to choose from, really.