Subject: Re: applix + suse_linux
To: Berndt Josef Wulf <wulf@ping.net.au>
From: Thor Lancelot Simon <tls@rek.tjls.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 01/24/2000 01:34:53
On Sat, Jan 22, 2000 at 05:42:50PM +1030, Berndt Josef Wulf wrote:
> G'day
>
> I'm unsuccesful in installing applix-4.4.1 using the suse_linux package
> with its libc6? libraries, which worked perfectly with the older libc5
> libraries.
>
> It will almost complete the installation when it stops with
> a "Bad system call" message.
>
> Has any one seen this? Is there a work around?
>
> Sysinfo: NetBSD-i386-1.4.1, applix-4.4.1, suse_linux (6.3)

You didn't provide useful debugging information -- which system call is
it?

If it's "setfsuid", either ApplixWare statically linked to the libncurses
shipped by SuSE (which idiotically uses setfsuid when it should really
use seteuid, but when the *right* solution would be to recode to not
require this type of hackery at all!) or I missed another library SuSE
did the same dumb thing to when I updated the package to 6.3.

	"And where do all these highways go, now that we are free?"