Subject: Re: ALPS 4x4 CD changer (ATAPI)
To: Jukka Marin <jmarin@pyy.jmp.fi>
From: Laine Stump <lainestump@rcn.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 01/23/2000 16:17:35
At 10:34 PM 1/23/00 +0200, Jukka Marin wrote:
>I was talking about the good old music CD's.. and I don't think it's
>cheap enough to put 100 or 200 CD's on a hard disk yet :-)

Well, in 96Kbps stereo MP3 format, each CD is 44MB, so you can get 200 CDs
worth of music on 8.8GB. Of course, the quality isn't as good as the
original CD, but it's definitely good enough for the speakers on my
machine! :-)

Lately, I've been wishing that somebody would figure out how to make a PC's
IR port talk to a conventional remote control, then write an MP3 player
program that could be controlled with the remote. If that happened, I'd
probably throw away the CD changer in my stereo system and plug in some
little 1U high box with a 13GB disk (and maybe a TV tuner card so I could
replace my TV too...)