Subject: Re: serial console HOWTO?
To: David Maxwell <david@fundy.ca>
From: Andrew Gillham <gillhaa@ghost.whirlpool.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 01/20/2000 10:18:33
David Maxwell writes:

> DC1/DC3 are ^Q/^S, XON/XOFF
>
> He doesn't want a chance of the machine not booting because a ^S slipped in.

Err, I thought it was "My EMACS is hard to use when ^Q/^S means something to
the serial port."

Sounds a bit like an application problem.

> But in Jonathan's case, if his terminal server (or whatnot) is set for
> hardware flow control, he won't be able to type commands at the boot
> prompt, because the bootblocks aren't bringing CTS high.

I think some people may have been offended by the "this is all crap because
it doesn't do what I want" tone of some messages.  Read them again if you
think I am exaggerating.

Currently XON/XOFF is the default for DIRECT_SERIAL?  If there are people
on either side of the issue (e.g. Jonathan's terminal server forces RTS/CTS,
but other want the simple convenience of a "laplink cable") I don't think
changing the default is the right thing to do.  Adding the ability to
build bootblocks that do *require* RTS/CTS is a good thing though.

How about listing requirements for serial consoles, then ranking them
by required/nice to have/whatever, and try to get some consensus amongst
the developers?

Personally I think modeling the i386 bootblock/bootprocess off of a "real
machine" like a Sparc or Alpha would be excellent.  Having the ability to
switch a cable back and forth between my PC164/SS10/i386 and not have to
worry about wiring and other stuff would be a benefit to me.  A two stage
boot process would be nice also, considering things like PXE, Award BIOS
utilities like CBROM, etc.

-Andrew
Andrew Gillham                            | This space left blank
gillham@whirlpool.com                     | inadvertently.