Subject: Re: suggested patch to console(4) manpage
To: Jonathan Stone <jonathan@DSG.Stanford.EDU>
From: Allen Briggs <briggs@ninthwonder.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 01/19/2000 21:19:40
> I want untended operation, with human presence very very rare.  I want
> hardware flow control, because the serial console is supposed to
> always be wired up (and something is screwed up badly if it isnt, and
> I'd like to know, so I can fix it).  I want explicit human
> intervention before using the "other" console, with automatic
> reversion to the "default". If using "autosense", I want the default
> to be the serial console, but treating operator input on the normal PC
> keyboard as a signal to use the "internal" devices as console.

FWIW, I want this as well, as I'm running a fledgling web service
provider off NetBSD systems and I don't like the keyboard switchbox.
There are two things stopping me from finding the time to get the
systems running on serial consoles:

	1) Lack of equipment

	2) Lack of decent hardware serial console
	2a) Lack of funds to purchase a PC weasel

I want to be able to manage a system entirely from a terminal server
except in the (rare) case when I have a real keyboard and display on it.
I'd prefer to be able to even do a hard reset from the terminal server.

-allen