Subject: Re: serial console HOWTO?
To: Herb Peyerl <hpeyerl@beer.org>
From: Jonathan Stone <jonathan@DSG.Stanford.EDU>
List: port-i386
Date: 01/18/2000 19:00:46
In message <200001190244.TAA26199@lager.beer.org>Herb Peyerl writes
>David Maxwell <david@fundy.ca>  wrote:
> > On Tue, Jan 18, 2000 at 05:45:46PM -0800, Jonathan Stone wrote:

> > Fair enough. The vast majority of people don't have Recent Intel server
> > motherboards though - my comments were meant to be generic.

Fair enough too. Tho I'm pretty sure I mentioned 1.4P and biosboot_com0.

>not to mention that many peripheral manufacturers assume 'display adapter'
>and even worse, 'VGA display adapter'.  So while you may be able to see
>into the BIOS, you can't configure your RAID controller...

If only I had a RAID controller to try.  It's awfully cute being able
to update BIOS screens in an xterm, though.  The update order is
bizarre, which makes me wonder if the EMP micro-conroller is doing
screen-scraping.  Guess I'll have to try the Adaptec setup, plus
whatever else I can wedge into the system whilst I';mn free to play
with it.

>(I won't include the gratuitous plug here)

Aw, no fair. Cant you let us know which RAID controllers _do_ work
with serial-console-BIOS? That's  gotta be worth a beer...