Subject: Re: serial console HOWTO?
To: Miles Nordin <carton@Ivy.NET>
From: David Maxwell <david@fundy.ca>
List: port-i386
Date: 01/18/2000 22:44:12
On Tue, Jan 18, 2000 at 06:31:28PM -0700, Miles Nordin wrote:
> On Tue, 18 Jan 2000, David Maxwell wrote:
> > And I guess you can have bootblocks without kernel, but I can't think
> > of a good reason for that :-)
>
> In case it wasn't already clear, NetBSD differs from Linux quite a bit in
> this regard in that you don't need any special kernel 'config' options to

> Any ordinary kernel including GENERIC will follow the boot block's
> suggestion--no changes to the 'config' file are necessary.

But when did this become true - 1.4(X)?

I'm pretty certain it wasn't true for 1.4, or 1.4.1, and I wouldn't
have touched the message with a ten-foot pole if I'd realized we
were discussing -current. I haven't tried serial console on -current. :-)

All this stuff in twice the space would only look half as bad!
					      - me