Subject: Re: serial console HOWTO?
To: David Maxwell <david@fundy.ca>
From: Miles Nordin <carton@Ivy.NET>
List: port-i386
Date: 01/18/2000 18:31:28
On Tue, 18 Jan 2000, David Maxwell wrote:

> And I guess you can have bootblocks without kernel, but I can't think
> of a good reason for that :-)

In case it wasn't already clear, NetBSD differs from Linux quite a bit in
this regard in that you don't need any special kernel 'config' options to
get serial console support.  If you use the serial boot blocks, and the
serial boot blocks eventually do in fact decide to use the serial port
(there are many #define's to get you automatic serial/vga bootblocks),
then the boot blocks will tell the kernel to use the serial port.  Any
ordinary kernel including GENERIC will follow the boot block's
suggestion--no changes to the 'config' file are necessary.

--
Miles Nordin / v:+1 720 841-8308 fax:+1 530 579-8680
555 Bryant Street PMB 182 / Palo Alto, CA 94301-1700 / US