Subject: Re: serial console HOWTO?
To: None <port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: Jonathan Stone <jonathan@DSG.Stanford.EDU>
List: port-i386
Date: 01/18/2000 13:57:27

>Is there an up-to-date guide on setting up and using serial consoles
>for first-time NetBSD/i386 serial console users?  For now, I'd like to
>build a setup that uses a serial tty (COM0) for as much of the console
>output as possible.
>
>I UTSLed, and that suggested building building bootblocks in
>sys/arch/i386/stand/biosboot_com0/. But with a slightly out-of-date
>souces, that failed to find start_bootsect.o.
>Am I missing something obvious?

Still not sure what's up there, but:

>Last, anyone got experience with mixing NetBSD serial consoles and
>newer Intel "server" motherboard BIOS `serial consoles'?

Answer: mostly works even with non-serial bootblocks, modulo PC(vt)
vs. xterm cursor addressing. I/O to the BIOS and NetBSD bootloader
goes to both video display and (BIOS) serial console, as far as the
bootloader printing the kernel size.

Once the NetBSD kernel proper starts, I/O reverts to the graphics
display, because the kernel has no clue the "console" is a serial
console.

How should I get the kernel to use a com device as its console? I
can't just pull the graphics card (its on the motheraboard), so I
guess I have to build serial-aware bootblocks?

--Jonathan