Subject: Re: reboot via control-alt-delete?
To: Brook Milligan <brook@biology.nmsu.edu>
From: Colin Bradley <colin@hasc.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 01/18/2000 12:37:42
  in a common lab environment i don't think it would be
  uncommon to find dual installs with NT and *ix on a given
  machine. what's one to do at 4am when the lab manager with
  root isn't around? hit the magic clicky button? that seems
  alot worse than a controlled shutdown..

  obviously you'd be screwing the guy whose simulation has been
  running on that box for the last six hours, but there you go.

  there may also be problematic situations in which each of the
  previous users of the machine have conveniently backgrounded
  a bunch of navigators - the machine is effectively rendered
  useless unless you have this kind of control.

  something like this would obviously not be a default, but
  perhaps would be a kernel option.

  i really love it on my NeXT box when i hit the "Power" button
  on the keyboard and it takes it all down as i walk away..

--

                             Colin Bradley
                             hutchison avenue software