Subject: Re: apm spinning down drives
To: Peter Seebach <seebs@plethora.net>
From: Herb Peyerl <hpeyerl@beer.org>
List: port-i386
Date: 01/18/2000 08:23:23
seebs@plethora.net (Peter Seebach)  wrote:
 > Wow.  I'm actually not as concerned about power saving as I am about disk
 > lifetime, for which I've been told spindown is almost always a loss.

huh. IDE? Unless you've got some super fantabulous 34GB disk in that laptop,
I'd suggest that when that disk dies, you could probably wander into the
local PC graveyard and pickup another one for close to free...

6 months ago, the local graveyard was giving me 500's and these days I'm
getting 1GB disks (of the laptop ide variety)... I figure within 6 months
they'll be giving away 3GB disks...

(I'm trying to scavenge enough disks to populate my sharks).