Subject: Re: reboot via control-alt-delete?
To: Frederick Bruckman <fb@enteract.com>
From: Ken Nakata <nakata@sequent.com>
List: port-i386
Date: 01/18/2000 18:11:54
Frederick Bruckman wrote:

> On Mon, 17 Jan 2000, Aaron J. Grier wrote:
>
> > this is kind of a stupid question, but is there any way to invoke
> > shutdown via a keypress (like control-alt-delete) from a login screen on
> > an i386 running 1.4 and wscons?  running "reboot" from ddb doesn't
> > unmount filesystems.
> >
> > Other than giving my boss the root password or leaving an open root
> > login, the only other option seems to be a "shutdown" account...
>
> The last option is probably the best.

I already stated my opinion before, but I repeat.  Use sudo.  It can be
configured such that certain users can run as root nothing except
"shutdown" (or whatever specified).  The best part IMO is that they
don't even have to know passwords other than their own.  Unlike su, sudo
requires the password of the user running it, so you don't have to tell
everybody or post a flyer or do some ridiculous thing like that whenever
you change root's (or "shutdown"'s) password.

Am I the only one who thinks sudo is such a good idea?

Ken