Subject: Re: reboot via control-alt-delete?
To: Aaron J. Grier <agrier@poofygoof.com>
From: George Sollish <gsollish@mail.gisco.net>
List: port-i386
Date: 01/17/2000 16:41:21
On Mon, 17 Jan 2000, Aaron J. Grier wrote:

> this is kind of a stupid question, but is there any way to invoke
> shutdown via a keypress (like control-alt-delete) from a login screen on
> an i386 running 1.4 and wscons?  running "reboot" from ddb doesn't
> unmount filesystems.
>
> Other than giving my boss the root password or leaving an open root
> login, the only other option seems to be a "shutdown" account...

For the same reason I added my 'office' account to group 'operator'.
Members of 'operator' can run shutdown (and very few other commands).  It
seemed a better solution than handing out root passwords.

George E Sollish	Chief Engineer  	 Auto Gear Equipment
			Host	 		 Classic-FM's Listening Room
			Project Manager		 The Payne Lake Project