Subject: Re: de ethernet driver and autosense, and manpages missing
To: Anne Bennett <anne@alcor.concordia.ca>
From: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.lip6.fr>
List: port-i386
Date: 01/15/2000 15:21:22
On Fri, Jan 14, 2000 at 11:57:58AM -0500, Anne Bennett wrote:
> > Is this de0 hooked up to a less-than-brand-new Cisco, by any chance?
>
> I am told that the switch is a "3com Superstack II switch 3300".

Ok, I have a few of these, and they gave me *big* troubles with *some* tulip
boards (I also have troubles with tulip and cisco switchs, and in general
I'm much happier with the 3com switch). One one box I finally gave up,
upgraded to -current and switched to the tlp driver, which works perfectly
with this board (HI JASON :)
The problem seems to be that the state machine of the de driver ends in a
strange state after a forced media change, where the OACTIVE state is set
and never cleared (preventing any further outgoing traffic). On 1.3.x
a 'ifconfig de0 down; ifconfig de0 up' would clear the output queue and
the OACTIVE flag, but this hack doesn't work in 1.4.x.
Playing with ifconfig de0 media (switch from autoselect to the forced mode
and vice-versa) and up/down usually ends in a working state again but I've
never been able to find the magic sequence.

For the 'blinking link led' problem: I've seen that too, it usually happens
when one end is in 100Mbs and the other still in 10Mbs. Check that both ends
agree on the speed to use.

--
Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.eu.org>