Subject: Re: de ethernet driver and autosense, and manpages missing
To: Anne Bennett <anne@alcor.concordia.ca>
From: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.lip6.fr>
List: port-i386
Date: 01/15/2000 15:26:10
On Fri, Jan 14, 2000 at 04:25:07PM -0400, David Maxwell wrote:
> > I am told that the switch is a "3com Superstack II switch 3300".
>
> I've seen 3coms fail to negotiate properly, leaving a useless link.
> Especially for critical machines, disable negotiation, and fix the
> config at the speed+duplex you want to use.

Actually it's much, much better than cisco's, they seem to do nvay quite
properly. The problem is that the de driver doesn't enable nvay I think
(or implement its own link detect state machine which confuses nway).
The only problem I've got is with 3com switch and thunderlan-based boards:
nway completes properly but takes several 10's of seconds - not acceptable
when the router is rebooted :)

> (More of a question for Jonathan) Is that de specific? I'm certain that
> ifconfig-ing  carious cards 'down' didn't drop the link.

the de driver doesn't drop the link. Other drivers usually do.

--
Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.eu.org>