Subject: Re: sometimes network
To: Steven Grunza <steven_grunza@ieee.org>
From: George Sollish <gsollish@mail.gisco.net>
List: port-i386
Date: 01/14/2000 11:35:20
On Fri, 14 Jan 2000, Steven Grunza wrote:

> Date: Fri, 14 Jan 2000 10:38:19 -0500
> From: Steven Grunza <steven_grunza@ieee.org>
> To: George Sollish <gsollish@mail.gisco.net>, port-i386@netbsd.org
> Subject: Re: sometimes network
>
> My 3C905 gets confused during warm-boots from Windows98 to NetBSD; it has
> something to do with the power state Windows puts the card into.  If you
> turn off system power and then boot into NetBSD, does that make a difference?
>
> At 09:33 AM 1/14/00 -0500, George Sollish wrote:
>
> >I'm not quite sure where to start on this one.  I am converting a RH6.0
> >box with a functioning 3c509 card over to 1.4.1.  Right now it dual boots
> >to both from LILO.  Perhaps 60% of the time, when I boot 1.4.1 ifconfig -a
> >reports the ep0 interface up but the network remains down (ping any local
> >box returns "host down").  If I reboot the box it usually functions
> >correctly.  Is this a LILO quirk which will go away when I replace LILO
> >with our boot selector, or should I be looking elsewhere (inside 1.4.1).
> >
> >The box is an old i586 w/ 16meg RAM.

One test isn't conclusive, but booting the box directly into 1.4.1 after
powering off first does give me a live network.  Following up on your
idea, is linux leaving the 3c509 in a questionable state?  If so, when I
remove linux entirely (or at least rarely access it) my problem should
disappear, right?

George E Sollish	Chief Engineer  	 Auto Gear Equipment
			Host	 		 Classic-FM's Listening Room
			Project Manager		 The Payne Lake Project