Subject: Re: install problems
To: Guy Santiglia <robin5153@yahoo.com>
From: Tim Walls <tim.walls@pa.press.net>
List: port-i386
Date: 01/14/2000 14:02:21
Hi,

> the sysinst program from the two floppies.  I don't  have the "man boot"
> page.  I was counting on the ne2000 card to install the
> system over NFS or FTP.  My only experience with NetBSD was
> on a mac68k,  so  I'm a little lost here.  Is there a good howto on the
> site for this?  or can you fill in on some of the details on how to
> boot that INSTALL kernel with -d option?

I hope I'm not getting the wrong end of the stick, but here goes...

Pop your install boot disk in the floppy drive & start the machine.

You will get a little bit of text ('NetBSD BIOS Boot, revision x.x' type
stuff,) the last two lines of which will look something like

  Press return to boot now, any other key for boot menu
  booting fd0a:netbsd - starting in 5

Hit the space bar (or anything other than return,) before the countdown
reaches 0.

At the prompt, type

  boot fd0a:netbsd -d

And the machine will boot with option -d (i.e., as far as I understand it,
into the kernel debugger.)  What you do then is up to you (see Gregory's
instructions earlier!)

> Thanks,
> Guy

Cheers,
Tim.

PS. I'm assuming you are booting off the floppy drive the BIOS is calling
    drive 0 (i.e. 'fd0a'.)  If not, just note down the drive from the
    'booting ????:netbsd' line & use that in the 'boot' command instead.

--
Tim Walls