Subject: Re: Minding my extra Qs
To: NetBSD-Port i386 <port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: Tim Walls <tim.walls@pa.press.net>
List: port-i386
Date: 01/14/2000 11:58:04
> Earlier today I wrote:
>> Again, the O/S is NetBSD 1.4.1, on an earlyish Pentium.  The
>> problematic software this time seems the X server which came with the
>> O/S.  It is spouting lowercase "q" characters while I type! [...]
>> but this new keyboard has been used
>> heavily in the past month while I upgraded the O/S and installed
>> software, and there was never any sign of misbehaviour while simply
>> logged in at the console without running X.
>
> It *is* the sqtupid keyboard.  I took home the one from work, and
> typed alql evening without any extra "q"s, and now that I've put my
> own keyboard back on, I'm being deluged by those infernal "q"s.
> Harumph.  I wonder why the keyboard works fine outside X, and spouts
> noise only at X?

In my experience, the keyboard handling under X seems to be pretty
scary, but I don't understand why.  (For example, on my 1.4.1-current
with PCVT console driver, it occasionally gets 'stuck' and thinks
a key is being held down.  On one perfectly good keyboard this used
to happen every half hour or so, on another perfectly good keyboard
it happened every 5 minutes!  This is using XF86-3.3.5)

After mucho fiddling around to fix it, I eventually turned off the
XKeyboard extension & slowed the key repeat rate right down.  I'm not
sure which fixed it, but it seems a lot better now.  (Doesn't stop X
crashing totally once every couple of days, but I just rebuilt X from
the latest sources & am hoping that works!!)

Cheers,
Tim.

--
Tim Walls