Subject: Re: Hang (SCSI-related?) on 1.3.2
To: Gunnar Helliesen <gunnar@bitcon.no>
From: Manuel Bouyer <bouyer@antioche.lip6.fr>
List: port-i386
Date: 01/13/2000 20:39:15
On Thu, Jan 13, 2000 at 05:02:45PM +0100, Gunnar Helliesen wrote:
> [...]
>
> As usual the machine rebooted and came right back up again with no
> complaints (except running fsck of course) as soon as I hit the reset
> switch. If there was an overheating problem, wouldn't you expect the disks
> or SCSI bus to fail pretty consistently once it had reached a certain
> temperature?

I have a machine which suffered from overheating. After replacing the fan
I could'nt get it stable again :the scsi bus looked up the same way, (but
with an NCR) occasionally (it could be up several days without troubles),
and the root cause of the problem (dead fan) was solved. There was no software
change on the machine.
Remplacing the disk solved the problem.

This doesn't mean you have the same problem but a bad disk can do very
strange things ...