Subject: de ethernet driver and autosense, and manpages missing
To: None <port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: Anne Bennett <anne@alcor.concordia.ca>
List: port-i386
Date: 01/11/2000 15:26:38
I have just installed a new ethernet card into my Pentium.

(1) There are manpages missing from the 1.4.1 distribution:
    "apropos ethernet" lists (among others) "de (4)", but I don't have
    this manpage.  Also, "apropos beep" lists "beep (4)", also
    missing.  I installed the system by manually untarring the sets
    into place, and I'm fairly sure that I put in all of the sets.
    Am I dreaming, or what?

(2) I'm trying to figure out how to get my new ethernet card, a DEC
    DE500 which is identified by the kernel as "de0: DEC DE500-BA
    21143 [10-100Mb/s] pass 3.0", to go into 100Mb/s mode.  Right now,
    the kernel reports "de0: enabling 10baseT port".  Our switch
    autosenses, and I'm not sure how two autosensing devices are
    supposed to negotiate which of their possible speeds to use.
    I thought I might explicitly tell my card to use 100baseT.

    I tried the manpage for "ifconfig", which suggests that "media
    type" might do the trick, but without the "de" manpage, I am
    guessing at the types, and not getting too far: "ifconfig de0
    media 10baseT" works as expected, and "ifconfig de0 media
    autoselect" makes it claim to be autoselecting but it selects
    10baseT.  "ifconfig de0 media 100baseT" results in the complaint
    "ifconfig: unknown Ethernet media subtype: 100baseT".

    Can anyone send me the "de" manpage so that I can look up the right
    command, or, if I am barking up the wrong tree, enlighten me?

Anne.
--
Ms. Anne Bennett, Senior Analyst, IITS, Concordia University, Montreal H3G 1M8
anne@alcor.concordia.ca                                        +1 514 848-7606