Subject: Re: Where's the Beep?
To: Ken Hornstein <kenh@cmf.nrl.navy.mil>
From: David Maxwell <david@fundy.ca>
List: port-i386
Date: 01/10/2000 18:41:08
On Mon, Jan 10, 2000 at 04:28:49PM -0500, Ken Hornstein wrote:
> >How on earth do I beep this machine from a job with no tty?
>
> Can't you send stuff to /dev/spkr?  I believe the man page has more
> information (IIRC, it was easily done via a shell script).

The kernel device is spkr, but the /dev entry is /dev/speaker.

Note that spkr isn't in GENERIC, so check your kernel (or your
boot messages) to see if you have it available.

I remember a wonderful post suggesting something like

echo 'BPBPBPBPBP' > /dev/speaker

while running tape backups.

Sorry I can't credit the author - can't find the message right now.

If you don't spend energy getting what you want,
	You'll have to spend it dealing with what you get.
					      - Unknown