Subject: serial port problem
To: None <port-i386@netbsd.org>
From: Jean-Francois Fortier <jefortie@cgocable.ca>
List: port-i386
Date: 01/08/2000 11:08:24
Hi there,

    Strange promblem on 486slc box with 2 serial ports. when I enable
both com1 and com2 in bios, netbsd crashs after "setting tty flag" . ...
after many tests, I found the only working solution: Enable only the
first serial port with 3E8 address (can`t use 3F8).  When netbsd boots
with this config, I see:

 "com2 isa0 port 0x3e8-0x3f8 irq5 : ns8250 or 16450, no fifo."

I said okay, anyway I only need one serial port for my modem !

I've configured my pppd to use /dev/tty02 38400 . But I can`t connect.
When I start the pppd, I see the dtr led on modem commin up ,  but
nothing else.

So I tried to communicate with my modem using minicom.
/dev/tty02
9600 8N1
no hardware control
no soft control

... same thing DTR led comes on, but no communication. In the status of
minicom, I see OFFLINE. Normally is changes to ONLINE as soon as the
serial is opened.

What's wrong ? Is there s way to see if netbsd correctly handles this
serail port ?

Thanks,

Jeff